Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing Newest Cadence Tools in updated Fedora Core 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvelasco

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
kde crashes cadence

Hello Everybody, this is my first post in elektroda.pl.

Im the system manager at my work, and we are testing all the newest cadence software in Fedora Core 1. We are using it because we have find it is better using system resources than redhat 7.3

We are in close contact with cadence, and the have said specifically they only support redhat 7.3 and in a future, redhat enterprise 2, and maybe for next year, version 3. This is because they need an stable system to run on.

I'm posting what we have found fiddling about with the following unsupported configurations:
1) Fedora Core 1 fresh install, ic5032, assura3_1
2) Fedora Core 1 apt-get updated version (freshrpms.net), ic5032, assura3_1
3) Fedora Core 1 fresh install, ic5033, assura3_1
4) Fedora Core 1 apt-get update, ic5033, assura3_1
5) Same as 4, using kde3.2beta2
6) Same as 5, using kernel 2.6.1

The results were
1) Doesn't work. There has been a major change in Fedora's glibc.

You can activate a compatibility mode workaround by defining
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.19 (not 2.2.5 because cadence compiles for 2.4.17 and further)

With this change, ICFB is ok, library manager and almost all basic functions works. Hierarchy Editor is broken. Virtuoso Schematic was fully functional. Virtuoso Layout and XL extension are broken when generating from a source schematic. Spectre DOES NOT work. Maybe there are some more errors around. Assura seems runs ok.

2) Same as 1.

3) Virtuoso Layout is fully functional. XL is a bit buggy and tends to close when moving instances.

4) Same as 3

5) kde32beta2 is usable, but has many stupid bugs which can make you destroy your cadence windows, and thus, should be avoided.

6) Armageddon!!!! ICFB gets completely broken, can't connect to Library Manager. I tested Library Manager by itself but cannot interconnect to virtuoso or other programs. We wouldn't recommend moving to kernel 2.6 until finding what's failing and finding a workaround.

Also, we have tested iccraft, and it works ok, except for a bug when trying to configure bind keys.

Also, a pre-patch for assura3_1 made it crash in fedora, but is usable in redhat 7.3

Also, we are trying to deprecate the use of the .cshrc configuration of cadence, instead, we have made a kde-linked script to configure everything. The script is very preliminar, and it's going to include license servers verification, and a full configuration system.

Well people, I hope this information is useful for anyone.

I have forgotten this...

The system has been tested in
AthlonXp 2.6GHz system with 512MB RAM.
Also, we tested with older Athlon systems, a Pentium 166MHz MMX, a Pentium 4HT (2.6GHz).

A cool configuration we tested was using a Windows XP machine, using XFree86-Cygwin and ssh in the windows box and running remotely from a redhat 7.3 box. It worked pretty cool, but sometimes when downloading anything it became slow. But it was cool seeing all my windows applications coworking with cadence tools. :D

Well, gotta leave.

You need not install XFree86-Cygwin, what you need is a X Server for win32, such as Exceed, then configure your linux box accept X connection from remote IPs.
In this way , you will have a X desktop under windows.
:)

New problem detected.

XFree86-Cygwin is a free win32 X-server
https://xfree86.cygwin.com/ <-- more information about it

Anyway, there's a new problem detcted with Fedora Core 1.
It seems the new glibc downloaded with apt is the one crashing icfb, not 2.6.0 kernel. glibc';s version is 2.3.2-101.4 - version 2.3.2.101.1 was ok.

I'll have to try again the new kernel, but have to downgrade glibc, which is something I don't precisely like.

I'm thinking of recompiling redhat 7.3 glibc version for fedora, but using it in an alternative root tree everytime we start cadence. It could fix all the s@#t ocurring with not redhat 7.3 installs.

Also, the problem with the hierarchy editor is caused because jre's version shipped with fedora cannot run in new kernels. I wonder if swaping supplied jre with a new, working version, could fix it.

Well, gotta go to dowgrade the system :(

Sorry if I confused you...

:oops:

Ok, its me again. It seems the problem wasn't even glibc...
It was just a problem with the /etc/hosts

to share knowledge... if the hostname and the name reported in /etc/hosts aren't the same, cadence misbehaves, and takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to load. but I didn't knew it also broke communication between tools.

Today I'll be testing cadence in kernel 2.6. The first try after correcting /etc/hosts has worked, but I don't know if it crashes after using it.

Creating the new instance of glibc just to run cadence sounds appealing to me yet...

Bye! I'm finally going to sleep!!!

Daniel Velasco.

Hi dvelasco.

can you tell me the whole procedure for installing the cadence IC50 on the fedora core1.
I am a linux beginner, please tell me it so easily.
in my state. I follows the procedure on the install CD like this , but is it not to work.

the procedure
#######################
Setup the Environment Variables.

"tools" is you install directory.

setenv PATH {$PATH}:/tools/cds5/tools.lnx86/bin
setenv PATH {$PATH}:/tools/cds5/tools.lnx86/dfII/bin
setenv PATH {$PATH}:/tools/cds5/tools.lnx86/plot/bin
setenv CDSDIR /tools/cds5
setenv CDS_ROOT /tools/cds5
setenv CDS_INST_DIR /tools/cds5
setenv CDS_INSTALL_DIR /tools/cds5/tools.lnx86/dfII

setenv CDS_LIC_FILE port@ip_address_of_you_computer
"You can use any port you want almost"

setenv CDS_Netlisting_Mode Analog

"First 2 lines of license file"
SERVER server ANY 5280
DAEMON cdslmd path_to_cdslmd eg /tools/tools.lnx86/bin/cdslmd

server is your computers "hostname"

Start the License Manager
/tools/cds5/tools.lnx86/bin/lmgrd -c licenseic5.dat

Check that the license manager is running
lmstatcds lmstat -a -c license.dat

Create a link called tools to tools.lnx86 at the top level install directory

ln -s tools.lnx86 tools

start the tools with

icms - IC Mixed Signal
icfb - IC front to back.
###########################
what can I do additionally ?

Dear loverrf :

I got the CDs same as you, because install procedure is same.

Could you kindly help me the questions.

Do you know which version IC5 we have?

Do you finish install procedure ? work?

Could you show me with detail, I am new comer for Linux and IC5.

I need your help, and pls help me

Thanks.

it is ic5.0 version.
yes I installed software on the redhat 7.3.
I was not able to install it on fedora or redhat 9.0.
but some problem about license.
I can boot the software with icfb&.
but license problem is occured.
I cannot open schematic and layout file with edit mode, just open files with read-only mode.
just open the files with read-only mode.

You mean that our licence only can run under read only mode?

Can ASSURA3.0 work on Fedora?????????
If it can work, please tell me how to setup.
Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.