Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test clock crystal for drift in a temperature and humidity clock (HTC-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pha5e

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a desk top Temperature and Humidity clock (see photo below). The time seems to advance over a couple of months after being set.

How can I check if it's the crystal or the capacitors connected to the crystal that are causing the drift?

Temperature Humidy Clock (HTC-1).jpg

It almost certainly is the crystal or it's loading capacitors but a few seconds drift per month would be quite normal for equipment like that.

If you need absolute precision you need an external clock locked to GPS or a time standard. If you want to try to tweak the existing clock to be more accurate, replace one of the crystal loading capacitors with an adjustable one and set it for better accuracy. You can do this by trial and error although it could take a long time to confirm you have it right or you could use a precision frequency counter to confirm the frequency is correct.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back