Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Terasic USB Blaster Download Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcet

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
terasic blaster

Hi,

Is there anybody else, who is using this programming device?

My Terasic USB Blaster is terrible slow in 'Active Serial Programming' mode :cry:
When used in 'JTAG' mode it behaves quite ok :D

Can anyone confirm this behavior or is it just mine?

Thanks,

ep20k

terasic

I guess, you're programming larger AS devices. Did you check the basic erase and programming times of serial flash in Altera Programming Handbook or with compatible third party devices? They are quite large.

JTAG programming in contrast can use full 6 MHz bit rate without much overhead.

Apart from this, Terasic is fully software and hardware compatible to original Altera Blaster, no performance differences should be expected.

terasic usb blaster

FvM said:
I guess, you're programming larger AS devices.
Yes, it was an EPCS16 with 16Mbit memory size. Comparing programming times of an EPCS4 with a ByteBlasterII from Altera and an EPCS16 with the Terasic USB Blaster i would expect it about 4 times longer. But, it takes much longer.
If I find the time next week to check both programmers at an EPCS16, I will give exact times.

FvM said:
Did you check the basic erase and programming times of serial flash in @ltera Programming Handbook or with compatible third party devices? They are quite large.
Can you tell me where (which side) you find those times? I couldn't find it.

FvM said:
Apart from this, Terasic is fully software and hardware compatible to original @ltera Blaster, no performance differences should be expected.
That's, what they say :wink:

Best regards,

ep20k

terasic blaster usb

I am using Terasic blasters now - since we seemed to kill some of our very expensive Altera ones. In fact our Altera FAE recommended the Terasic's as a replacement. We have no performance difficulties at all.

Previously we had used some 'Chinese clone' Blasters which were much slower in both JTAG and AS modes. They were also not compatible with the latest Altera/Terasic blasters for use on the NIOS IDE.

JD

terasic usb blaster cable

The timing parameters are documented in the Altera Configuration Handbook. Generally EPCS16 has similar speed as EPCS4, so a fourfold programming time could be expected. There's however a considerable difference between typical and maximum times that may explain the observed differences. I'm not aware of a particular software overhead in AS programming, but it may exist anyway.

terasic jtag

@jdtoronto

Interesting to hear that you face no difficulties with your programmer.

@FvM

I found it and yes, there are considerable difference between typical and max. times. Let me get my times and I'll get back to this topic.

Best regards,

ep20k

altera terasic blaster

Last week I was programming some 4Mbit flashes with the Terasic blaster. No difference in time compared to the ByteBlasterII from @ltera :D

Thank you anyway,

ep20k

Status
Not open for further replies.