TDR Impedance analysis

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am running a simulation on a 50 ohm transmission line in free form schematic in which I have a driver and receiver and a transmission line in between. There are also two via on the transmission line. I am running s-parameter analysis. I have attached two graphs at TDR impedance measured at driver node and TDR impedance measurement at the receiver node. What these graphs shows us ? The impedance is not 50 ohm. Is that due to the termination ?

Attachments

• Untitled 395.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Untitled 396.png
    31 KB · Views: 46

I am simulating to see TDR impedance response. I have probed at both driver and also at receiver but it look like this impedance is not same over time. It should be constant over time in TDR response, right ?

Attachments

• Untitled 397.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 40

If you thought it was the termination R.

Why not confirm that assumption and test it with a passive R = 50 , 75 , or 100?

Then check your setup and calibration and go beyond 2ns.

Via properties to be 50 ohm are typically, height/hole = 2:1, Ref. Plane opening D/ Pad D = 2:1 for FR4

@D.A.(Tony)Stewart Thank you very much for your reply. I will try different passive terminations at the resistor between p and n of differential signals. I will also run simulation and see beyond 2ns.

I am not getting the via structure you mentioned. For a 50 ohm FR4 PCB layout you said the ratio between height and hole is 2:1. Is that the height of the dielectric ? I am also not getting reference plan opening. Can you please explain that again ? Thanks in advance.

I'm partly confused. You have been initially asking about 20 ohm impedance difference in TDR, obviosly casused by a wrong termination. Now you are looking for impedance discontinuity involved with vias. That's surely an interesting topic, but did you already solve the original problem? You still didn't show a schematic of the overall setup.

The picture in post #5 brings up questions. According to text, it's a via connection to "inner signal". How does the via look exactly? Is it blind via ending at inner signal layer? Or is it back-drilled? Or is it regular through via, not sketched correctly?

This is not how one designs a controlled impedance transmission line in your schematic.

1. The via must physical properties of height and pad D that affects nH/mm and have a gap to the ground planes on each layer to create an effective stray 3D pF/mm of the gaps a in order to make the Zo² = L/C = 50²

2. The Rx has a programmed shunt R of 50 ohms. It is not shown as series R1.

3. What is the dielectric constant? What are all the physical lengths and widths?

4. Assuming Tpd = 58 ps/cm in your dielectric (Er = TBD) a delay of 2.2 ns corresponds to a length of 38 cm where you show a termination of 72 ohms.
5. The low impedance of 37.5 Ohms at 0.1ns or 100 ps implies a excessive capacitance near 17.2 mm from the source.

None of these problems can be resolved without more details on the design assumptions.

Your 2nd plot, I also changed the colour to yellow to see are not labelled as s11 or s232 but show more problems at the source, but more importantly, the wrong impedance.

Last edited:

I didn't fold out post #8 schematic. Now it's a bit clearer. DCI I/O-standard involves internal source side termination around 50 ohm and usually unterminated load. Optionally external load termination to Vcc/2 can be applied. TDR step to 72.5 ohm doesn't seem right for unterminated load, may be a scaling error. Perhaps the setup can be further clarified. Apparently it's simulated TDR in ADS, I don't exactly understand how it works in combination with DCI driver.
--- Updated ---

Source side termination gives sufficient signal quality for most medium speed digital signals, also discontinuity at vias is usually no problem.

Last edited:

Thanks for your comments. The design goal of the terminations at driver and receiver is basically to get constant impedance 50 ohm at the source and destination, right ? Ideally we want a constant impedance probing at the driver and also at the receiver, right ?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…