Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TAIT PIC PROGRAMMER-ANY ADVICE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_risk_master

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tait pic programmer

Hi,

I'm planning to build a PC based PIC programmer, but I dont know how really PIC programmers work, I have a circuit here but Im not sure if this PIC programmer really works, Im asking for your advice guys, or if any one of you has built one any PC PIC programmer, please upload it here or tell me what is your experience on using it.

tait software eprom

I have not tried it, but I built a PIC programmer of my own, before actually building an ICD-2 clone.

Basically, the PIC's need 5V for power and 13V applied to the /MCLR pin for programming. After the part is put into programming mode by a special sequence, the data is shifted in serially on PGD, while PGC is the clock. For verification, the data is shifted out the PGD pin, with PGC still acting as a clock.
For older parts (with C in the middle), you also need to supply two commands: start programming and stop programming (spaced at 100ms) to actually program a word. When all it's said and done, you program the configuration word.

For more info and another similar programmer, check out appnote AN-589 from Microchip. The Tait programmer looks clean to me. It will work. ONe thing I would change is the 13V supply. I know PIC's are notorious for refusing to enter programming mode if the 13V is too low. So I would either use a pot instead of the diodes (or perhaps a small one in series with them), or better yet use an LM317L with a pot, so you can adjust accurately the 13V. That is what I have found in my experience.
Other than that, the algorithm is not that complicated.

Does Tait provide the software that goes with this programmer? AN-589 does provide code, but it is DOS-based (it's old) and I don't think it supports F devices. Personally, I built the ICD-2 clone, which works only on F devices, but this is what I use anyway. The schematics and code for the ICD-2 clone can be found on this board. Just search on that. I have to warn you, it uses a PIC16F877 or PIC16F876A, depending on the version. Anyway, you will have to program this PIC before you can use the programmer, so you need to ask someone for help.
However, the nice thing about it is that once you build it you can actually use it with Microchip's MPLAB IDE software, so new devices will always be supported, all you have to do is update your free MPLAB IDE.

Here is the link to appnote AN-589 **broken link removed**
The code is written in C.

epic programmer clone

Hello Sir VVV,

Yes Sir David Tait provided it with a software, actually as in this software included, it can also be used with JDM, TAITprog, and the one that you have AN-589, so are you advising me to build the one like yours? Do you not have problems using it along time?

tait eprom programmer

check out the 16pro on this site plus there's lot's of tutorial's to get you started the 16pro should program almost all the pic you'll need i have not had any problems using it with Nigel's software
http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/

clone pic programer

I have built an ICD-2 clone and this is what I use now. It is based on the schematic provided by leprohon on this board. It uses the PIC16F876A and the bootloader was included. I made only some small modifications to the schematic, but I am certain that the original one worked just fine. I have not had any problems with it so far.
This is the one I can recommend.

However, it needs a PIC and it is more complex. So you can simply build the Tait programmer and pay attention to the 13V voltage, as I said in the previous post. I think it will work and it is cheaper and easier to build. Then you can later build the ICD-2 clone, especially that you will have the Tait programmer to program the PIC with the bootloader. Perhaps this is the best way to go, start with something simple and easy and when you find that you absolutely need something else, just go to the next step.
That is basically what I did. I started with the EPROM programmer I had built and modified it to program PIC's (it also used the parallel port of the PC). But then I had problems with it. I think they stemmed from the fact that I was using the parallel port (hence just 0-5V signals) to actually send serial data and clock to the PIC, but without any other data integrity checks until the PIC program verification stage, and I think this was responsible for a lot of the problems I had.
Then I built the ICD-2 clone.

tait programer

Hi,
Yes, I built this one before but based on OshonSoft Windows software.
It is a similar Tait programmer type and has no problems so far. Has limited PIC types though, but for a simple programmer who could ask for more.
Send me an e-mail if you want the complete details.

I am going to built the ICD2 clone next....

tait parallel programmer

I have built this programmer and I use it with WinPic800. Tait's software is more limited in PIC's that it will program. You can also use IC-Prog, but I had problems verifying the programming of the PIC16F877A. I use WinPic800 with no problems so far. You have to configure the pins in all three software programs. The programmer has been very reliable. I've used it on the PIC16F84, PIC16F84A, PIC16F877, and PIC16F877A over the past two years.

I modified the schematic to generate the 13V. I have a supply of 15V and make 13V with a resistor divider. The current required by the MCLR pin is quite low, but I used resistor values in the 1k to 10k ohm range.

I also added a pull up resistor in series with a toggle switch to MCLR so I could program the pic and then pull the MCLR button high to run the code. In using the programmer, I have found I could have omitted the toggle switch (it'll program with the switch closed), but I still think its a good idea in case I run across a pic that needs to be held in reset prior to applying progamming voltage.

I also added a reset switch (a pull down resistor in series with a push button switch on MCLR) so I could manually reset the pic when I'm testing code.

I think however an ICD-2 clone provides the most flexibility and is best supported. You still need to build a programmer to build an ICD-2 clone. I haven't taken the next step yet, but one day I will.

-jonathan

problems with tait programmer

if ur planning to do so much work in designing then i suggest u make EPIC programmer by microengineerings. also a parallel port programmer. similar design. much much much more pic. From my opinion, it's good. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back