Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

T flipflop code problem (VHDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

makanaky

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was designing T flipflop , I wrote the following code :
library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL;

---- Uncomment the following library declaration if instantiating
---- any Xilinx primitives in this code.
--library UNISIM;
--use UNISIM.VComponents.all;

entity TFF is
Port ( reset : in STD_LOGIC;
enable : in STD_LOGIC;
clk : in STD_LOGIC;
Q : out STD_LOGIC);
end TFF;

architecture Behavioral of TFF is
signal A:std_logic:='0';
begin
process (clk,reset)
begin
if reset='1' then
Q<='0';
elsif rising_edge(clk) then
if enable='1' then
A<= not A;

end if;
end if;

end process;

Q<= A;
end Behavioral;

problem is when simulating : Q doesnt get to '1' when A changes to '1' , instead it becomes dont care 'X'

Can anybody help me please why does this happen ?

you have Q driven from inside the process and outside the process, so it will always be 'X'. Remove Q from the reset condition and replace it with A. Q is not a register output, A is. Q is just a wire here.

Thanks a lot . I replaced Q by A in the reset , but I got this half cycle delay between A and Q as shown . I dont understand why ???

Can you please explain ?

**broken link removed**

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There's no delay implemented in the logic. I guess, you have a simulation time step of 1 ns and are driving the design with a 2 ns clock period. Decrease the clock frequency or use a smaller timestep.

where can i change the simulation time step in modelsim ? Anyway , I made the clk frequency 20 times smaller , and same result happens ...

where can i change the simulation time step in modelsim
Code:
[vsim]
Resolution = xx
The waveform doesn't fit the code, I think. The waveform looks like Q <= A is placed inside the process.

Thanks a lot FVM , That's right , Q <= A was inside the process as I was making changes to see what could this change in the o/p

Can u plz explain why when Q<=A was inside the process , this o/p appeared ?

The behaviour is due to VHDL specification, that the left hand side of expressions in a process is only updated according to the sensitivity list. This only happens in simulation, so having signals missing in the sensitivity list leads to a simulation to hardware mismatch.

The assignments in the clock synchronous block under if rising_edg(clk) don't need to appear in the sensitivity list however.

this means if i included A in sensitivity list , the o/p would be correct with Q<=A inside the process ?

this means if i included A in sensitivity list , the o/p would be correct with Q<=A inside the process ?

Not if its inside the clocked part of the process, because even if A changes, there is no clock edge, so Q will not change.

Sensitivity lists are only important if you have an unclocked process. Writing a line of code outside of an explicit process creates an implicit process with an impied sensitivity list.
eg.

Q <= A;

is implied as:

process(A)
begin
Q <= A;
end process;

Status
Not open for further replies.