Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] system verilog forever loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumeet1990

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1)
Code:
module enum_test;
 enum {red,green,blue,yellow} c;
 initial
 begin
 c=c.first;
 forever
 begin
 $display("%s %d",c.name,c);
 if(c==c.last)
 break;
 c=c.next;
 end
 end
 endmodule

2)
Code:
module enum_test;
 initial
 begin
 c<=c.first;
 forever
 begin
 if(c==c.last)
 break;
 c<=c.next;
 end
 end
 endmodule
3)
Code:
module enum_test;
 initial
 begin
 c<=c.first;
 forever
 begin
#10   //<<<<<-------------------things change by adding this
 if(c==c.last)
 break;
 c<=c.next;
 end
 end
 endmodule
Hello,
I am new to SV please help me with the codes above
1)In the first code I used forever loop with blocking assignments and with and timing procederals and everything works nicely.I get red,blue,green,yellow resp.

2)Int the second code I am using non blocking statements and while simulating it hangs the simulation by displaying "red","0"

3) in the third code I just added a delay and simulation works fine displaying values after specified delay

Now, I now the working of blocking and non blocking assignments but just can get how it is working in the above codes. also, I don't quite get how this delay addition affects the code.
thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you, that cleared my doubt in codes 1 and 2.
But can you please explain what exactly happens after we add delay....i mean can you give me a line by line explanation after addition of delay in third code

Now, I now the working of blocking and non blocking assignments
sharath666 is correct and you don't know about blocking and non-blocking statements as well as you think you do. ;-) You should probably reread the LRM 4.9.3 Blocking assignment and 4.9.4 Nonblocking assignements sections of the IEEE Std 1800-2012 to improve your understanding of how each of them work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back