Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

system bandwidth and signal bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.
System bandwidth I believe is the overall bandwidth (the processor bandwidth), where as signal bandwidth is the actual frequency of communication.

hi every one,

what is the difference of system bandwidth and signal bandwidth?

I hope this is no joke.
System bandwidth is the bandwidth of a system and signal BW is the occupied BW of a signal.
Is there anything else to say?

thanks LvW

if i want to design baseband filter ,then what bandwidth i have to consider

Hi i think if the input signal X is fed to a system with a transfer function G, the output Y is obtained by modifying X by the system in accordance with it transfer function G.Say now if we are increasing the input signal frequency of X , but since the system has a finite bandwidth the output modification(Y=G*X) will be correctly done only up to a certain frequency say f. So this 'f' is the system bandwidth.

For signal band width of X , it is determined by the highest frequency content present in it.

Im i correct??
Regards

Last edited:

thanks LvW

if i want to design baseband filter ,then what bandwidth i have to consider

For my opinion, this is not really a question that can be answered.
Some basics:
A group of frequencies (e.g. a modulated signal) consists of some frequencies that are wanted (they belong to the signal) - and, unfortunately, in most cases also of some unwanted components (e.g. harmonics due to non-linearities).
This is the case of a filter - and you have to decide: What is the task of the filter?
In detail: Which range of frequencies shall pass and which range has to be suppressed?
This leads to one of the basic filter types: Lowpass, highpass, bandpass, bandstop.
So, it's up to you (the user) to specify the requirements to the filter (transmission bandwidth, frequencies to be attenuated by how many dB?)

You see, it's to early to give you a specific answer, OK?

what is the difference of system bandwidth and signal bandwidth?
System bandwidth is the range of frequencies which a system can carry, or, more correctly, it is the difference between the maximum and minimum frequencies.

Signal bandwidth is the range of frequencies associated with a signal, or, more correctly, it is the difference between its maximum and minimum frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back