Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synopsys VCS and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

as2447

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
synopsys vcs vcsd

Hi,

I'm trying to run VCS under linux but get the following message when trying to compile a verilog design:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gcc -o ../simv 5NrI_d.o 5NrIB_d.o nE5Z_1_d.o SIM_l.o /usr/cad/vcs/gui/virsim/linux/vcdplus/vcs7_1_0_1/libvirsim.a /usr/cad/vcs/linux/lib/libvcsnew.a -ldl -lc -lm -ldl
/usr/cad/vcs/linux/lib/libvcsnew.a(lib.o)(.text+0xc0d50): In function `vcsd_user_crypt_filter':
/u/source/src/interfaces/flexlm.syn/v6.1-vcsd/i86_r6/../machind/lmappfil.c:899: `sys_errlist' is deprecated; use `strerror' or `strerror_r' instead
/usr/cad/vcs/linux/lib/libvcsnew.a(lib.o)(.text+0xc0d3a):/u/source/src/interfaces/flexlm.syn/v6.1-vcsd/i86_r6/../machind/lmappfil.c:899: `sys_nerr' is deprecated; use `strerror' or `strerror_r' instead
/usr/cad/vcs/gui/virsim/linux/vcdplus/vcs7_1_0_1/libvirsim.a(ivcspli7_1_0_1.o)(.text+0xa4b1): In function `vpCallVcdPlusFile':
: undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
/usr/cad/vcs/gui/virsim/linux/vcdplus/vcs7_1_0_1/libvirsim.a(ivcspli7_1_0_1.o)(.text+0x29158): In function `vs_clStrCmpCI(char *, char *)':
: undefined reference to `__ctype_toupper'
/usr/cad/vcs/gui/virsim/linux/vcdplus/vcs7_1_0_1/libvirsim.a(ivcspli7_1_0_1.o)(.text+0x291b5): In function `vs_clStrCmpCI(char *, char *)':
/usr/cad/vcs/gui/virsim/linux/vcdplus/vcs7_1_0_1/libvirsim.a(ivcspli7_1_0_1.o)(.text+0x291d3): In function `vs_clStrCmpCI(char *, char *)':
and on and on
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Appreaciate your help,
as2447

ctype vcs

I have seen the same error messages before with Scirocco (2003.3) and have managed to fix it. I'll warn you now that it is not exactly a clean fix and would probably be frowned upon in a production environment even if it works for you. I assume the same fix might work for VCS too, but I give no guarantee.

This problem happens because Synopsys requires glibc 2.2. All recent linux distributions use newer glibc.

The way to fix it is:
* Make a backup of .../vcs/gui/virsim/linux/vcdplus/vcs7_1_0_1/libvirsim.a. This is very important!
* Download glibc 2.2 source and unpack it somewhere
* Compile ctype.c (from memory I think that's what it is called) to get ctype.o
* Use the 'ar' command from binutils to unpack the object files from libvirsim.a (this file is different from the one to patch for Scirocco). You now have a directory with lots of .o files.
* Copy ctype.o into this directory.
* Use the 'ar' command to repack the object files into libvirsim.a

This only fixes the problem with __ctype_*. The strerror/strerror_r message will still be there, but that is only a warning and doesn't stop Scirocco (and hopefully not VCS) from working.

Hope this helps,
Sph3r3

libvirsim.a

Thanks for the idea.
I have some problems implementing it, though.

first, when I unpack the libvirsim.a, there is only one files there: ivcspli7_1_0_1.o
second, being an inexprienced linux user, I don't know how to copile ctype.c independently so I'd appreciate it if you could send me the compiled file (ctype.o).

Thanks again,
as2447

Status
Not open for further replies.