Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronous rectifier driver need RCD clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
The attached LTpice sim shows a 2Tran forward, with synch rects. The synch rects absolutely need RCD clamps. The demo boards and datasheet never show these.
Do you know why this is?
[I must admit i have seen posts about this in the past, (on various forums) but all are now gone, i am wondering if semico's are forcing forums to remove any posts which they dont feel paint their chips in the best light? Its a shame because these semico's dont have forums for their chips, except for Power integrations. Texas has one but only allows company email postees]

Attachments

• 2TFC _LT1681_LTC1698_OPTO_5.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 2TF wit sync rect.jpg
    2TF wit sync rect.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 98

The RCD arrangement often appears in a flyback with the purpose of a snubber placed across an inductor. So perhaps the manufacturer leaves it up to designers to be aware a snubber (or clamp) might be needed?
Or else to discover the need as a step in their learning process when they must solve inductive spikes during the development stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.