Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synchronization across clock domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mina Magdy

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have a question on how to connect two module with different clock ?
i know i can use hand shacking or Circular FIFO but i want to know how it work and how to avoid metastability between two systems ?
thanks in advance

the simplest approach is to use a two-flip-flop synchronizer. If you do an internet search there is lots of information about this and other synchronization methods.

the simplest approach is to use a two-flip-flop synchronizer. If you do an internet search there is lots of information about this and other synchronization methods.

thanks for replay
actually i search about it but what makes me confused is how the FIFO can respond to two different clock as i know we can use the SRAM as FIFO and SRAM is driven by only one clock.

thanks for replay
actually i search about it but what makes me confused is how the FIFO can respond to two different clock as i know we can use the SRAM as FIFO and SRAM is driven by only one clock.

DUAL PORT SRAM is not necessarily driven by one clock, and FIFOs are generally built around DUAL Port RAM.

DUAL PORT SRAM is not necessarily driven by one clock, and FIFOs are generally built around DUAL Port RAM.
but what happens if i face a case of a read and write in the same time will the ram read or it will write i know i will not even read or write in the same address at the same time but i am talking about the address selector on the ram

That's exactly why you use a FIFO, so that you can read and write independently and simultaneously. You need to learn a bit about dual-port RAM; they have independent address and data busses.

Usually your FIFO controlling logic should output signals like near_empty, near_full. These indicators should be taken into account in designing your overall flow control in your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back