Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Symmetric loads in VCO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

asuprash

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could any one tell me how the VCO with symmetric loads accomplishes the following
thing

1) High dynamic supply noise rejection -> The maneatis paper says that this is
due to the suppression of first order terms..

I can see how symmetric loads achieve better linearity. If u superimpose
Id-VD(for active) and Id- Vgs(for diode connected) curves then the net characteristic is that of a symmetric load buffer

Can anyone explain how nonlinear effects contribute towards noise. If I have nonlinear loads how does this convert differential mode signals to common mode signals ?

Regards Prashanth

Let us look at an example. Applying differential voltage v to a diff-amp, we get currents gm(v/2) and gm(-v/2) in the two branches. This is the linear current. Apart from this there are other non-linear currents k1(v/2)^2 and k1(-v/2)^2, k2(v/2)^3 and k2(-v/2)^3 etc. These non-linear portions are unwanted currents and can be thought of as noise.

Added after 1 minutes:

You can now see that the even order non-linear components cancel out as they only contribute to common mode change.

Added after 10 minutes:

Differential circuits reject all common mode noise including power supply noise is also common mode since it affects both branches in the same way

Status
Not open for further replies.