Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching frequency of transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

qasim_ee

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wish to get a clarify the understanding of switching frequency of transistor
Say, the input signal is 16 Gb/s fed to an inverter, Can we call the switching frequency of transistors in a circuit to be 16 GHz? I understand that the Nyquist frequency will be 8 GHz. But what about switching frequency and (or) data rate frequency ?
Also when the input signal is 16 Gb/s does the transitions of signal (from high to low or vice versa) have a correlation with twice the Nyquist frequency ??
Thank you!!

Hi,

Pleae give the dicument you refer to.
Usually there is some context explaining some details.

I don't see what nyquist has to do with transistor switching frequency.
And how switching frequency relates to datarate depends on data coding.

Klaus

Transistor switch is usually given in time, not in frequency or bandwidth. Not sure what you are asking.

Transistor switch is usually given in time, not in frequency or bandwidth. Not sure what you are asking.

Yes, I understand that the transition of voltage levels usually given in time domain i.e. rise and fall time of the output signal. If the input (data-rate) of an inverter is 16-Gb/s then accordingly the switching of NMOS-PMOS will take place [i.e. high to low/low to high level transition in time domain]. For this NRZ signal, the Nyquist frequency is 8-GHz.
I wish to know more about the crossover points in high to low/low to high level transitions [I agree this is in time domain] but does this has any relation with twice the Nyquist frequency i.e. 16-GHz, can 16-GHz be called data rate frequency or switching frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back