Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching between two analog channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icydash

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! So I'm trying to design a circuit where on one end, if i hit a regular push button switch, it causes a wireless signal (maybe the word "turned on" if the switch is on, or "turned off" if the switch is off, using perhaps a zigbee?) to be sent to a wireless receiver on the other end. The wireless receiver then takes the received data, and sends the data to a microcontroller, which decides what to do based on if it receives the "turned on" or "turned off" signal.

If it's "turned on," the microcontroller will allow a [guitar signal] to be conducted through one wire/path, and if it's "turned off" it will direct the guitar signal through a default path (another wire).

I'm having trouble coming up with the circuitry to do this (the switching part using the microcontroller on the receiving end). At first I was thinking that if the microcontroller got the "turn on" signal, it would set a pin to high, which would go to the gate input of a transistor, which would allow the signal to pass through one channel. If it got the "turn off" signal, a different pin from the microcontroller would be set to high, and that would send the guitar signal through the default path.....then I realized transistors only work with DC.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might go about doing this? Sorry for all the information but I figured it'd help if you knew what I was trying to do.

Study available schematics of guitar amps, effects and other audio equipment. They use either FET transistors (e.g. Mesa Boogie),
analog switch IC's or small relays (e.g. a reed relay) to switch analog signals.

Actually, also bipolar transistors can be used for analog switching, but they are only good as a shunt switch, and it's much more
difficult to achieve a smooth operation. I won't suggest it.

fantastic, I will look through all this when I get home from work tonight and try and draw up some schematics. Thanks so much!

If all you are trying to do is remotely control the path of an audio signal you can use an off-the-shelf product. There are many "Remote Controlled Relay" Kits on the market - Google "Rmote Controlled Relay". This may be faster and cheper than rolling your own from scratch.

well i mean i'd like to build it myself, it's more of a hobby type thing, but I will look into Remote Controlled Relays.

I guess I could use infrared. As long as it can send a remote signal that doesn't interfere with anything in my guitar rig/PA system and go about 100 feet, I guess I can use anything really.

Did you have an idea in mind?

icydash said:
well i mean i'd like to build it myself, it's more of a hobby type thing
That's why I suggested you get a kit!

Status
Not open for further replies.