Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

suspended microstrip line for 15GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahid78

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

i am trying to design an air suspended transmissio line which should work from 0.5GHz to 20GHz.

i have calculated its width dimension using CST built in micro .
but i can not get the good results for the my desired frequency range.

the S21 becomes worse as frequency increases which i think is due to miss matching. i want a smooth horizontal line close to 0dB throughout the range assumng low loss dielectric .

so i am just wondering how to create such a transmission line which is matched for desired frequency band, the cST built in macro gives the width of the line for the desired 50 ohm characteristic impedance but i think this width may not work for my desired frequency range.

anyone having some experience in this area , i would appreciate their comments

thanks

What are your using for a channel width? It needs to be pretty small. At 18 Ghz, you have to be sure that waveguide modes are not propagating in parallel with your suspended stripline.

hi biff44

well how can i make sure that waveguide modes are not propagating along the microstrip line.

thats why i asked in my post . how would you proceed to design a microstrip line for such a wide band ? specially if there is air involved as well between the ground and the dielectric substtrate on which microstrip line is etched.

thanks

You want the substrate to be suspended halfway between the top and bottom cover, and you want it bounded to the left and right by a channel wall. If you want only to propagate energy in the trace itself, the dimensions of the channel have to be below a certain width.

An approximation, assuming the width is much wider than the cover to cover height, is that the cuttoff frequency for the lowest waveguide mode will be:

Fc = C/2A, where A is the width in cm, and C is the speed of light 30 cm/ns.

For a cuttoff frequency of 22 GHz, you need A = 30 [cm/ns] / (2 * 22 GHz) = 0.68 cm.

**broken link removed**

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back