Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion on FPGA board on elevator system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesslyn993

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I am browsing through many FPGA series. Yet, I couldn't make my decision on which fpga board to be used. Could you guys suggest me the suitable FPGA board for a mini 3-level elevator controller project?

Thanks. :thinker:

Hi,

Probably almost any FPGA board will do.

We need more information.
What are the inputs? What are the outputs of your system?

Is it just some combinatorial logic, state machine or does it contain a digital regulation loop?
We need a detailed description.

Klaus

Hi, sorry for the confusion made. I am still new to FPGA.

I am planning to use only combinational logic for all extra features (weight, alarm etc) and state machine to control the destination of "car".
This is my FYP project, thus, I hope to go for low cost FPGA board.

Thanks for the help and reply.

Jesslyn

Hi guys,

I am browsing through many FPGA series. Yet, I couldn't make my decision on which fpga board to be used. Could you guys suggest me the suitable FPGA board for a mini 3-level elevator controller project?

Thanks. :thinker:

I wish to add on.
My input would be digital, mostly switches, as what commonly should be included in an elevator system. Additional features (alarm system, weight etc) will be added on. Output of this controller is to drive a motor in order to move the car in either upward or downward.

Hi,

Output of this controller is to drive a motor in order to move the car in either upward or downward.

This description does not help.
Because the FPGA´s outputs are obviously not strong enough to drive an elevator motor. So you need to tell us how you want to communicate with the motor control.

Please draw a small picture on what you want to do. With ALL I/O connections.
If you plan to use any serial communication, please describe it.

Without information we can only guess.

Klaus

Hi,

This description does not help.
Because the FPGA´s outputs are obviously not strong enough to drive an elevator motor. So you need to tell us how you want to communicate with the motor control.

Please draw a small picture on what you want to do. With ALL I/O connections.
If you plan to use any serial communication, please describe it.

Without information we can only guess.

Klaus

Sorry for the confusion and late.
Below is my motor controller design. The input of motor controller is coming from FPGA. Is this clear to you? All the input (sensor, call button, menu) are fed into FPGA and the programs decide the output which used as the input of motor controller.

Thanks,
Jesslyn

Hi,

it seems it is not a controller controller for a real elevator. That´s why you called it "mini". So you don´t need all the safety considerations...

My post#2 is still true.

To your circuit:
It shows only a power stage. No information about the signals or the motor function. Do you use a speed control with PWM? Or just UP/DOWN without soft start/stop.
I recommend to wire both power stage control independently to the FPGA, instead of using an external inverter circuit. The FPGA has plenty of it inside ;-)

All the "inputs" description is still missing: What sensors? With what signals/interfaces?
What menu?

FIRST do the planning: Overview plan, specifications. Then divide your plan into sections. Then do the details on your sections.

From overview to details.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.