Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Structure in System Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahsan_Ali

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone. I want to ask that how a structure is synthesized in system verilog. Because Verilog and System Verilog eventually lead to some hardware. I just want to know what can be the best hardware representation for a structure. Example is:

Code:
struct str_sv{
        logic ip1;
        logic ip2;
        int z;
        bit b;
};

How the hardware of the above structure will look like?
You can help me by your own example code. Thanks!

Regards,
Ahsan

The structure is basically flatened by the tool. So, let's say yoyu create the struct:

typedef struct packed { .... } struct_t;

then you create the variables

struct_t a, b, c;

Internally the tool will flatten it and create the members individually. In Genus it uses an array like name. This is of coruse internal to the tool and you will see this in the final gatelevel netlist.

so you will have:
logic \a[ip1]
logic \a[ip2]
int \a[z]
bit \a
logic \b[ip1]
logic \b[ip2]
bit \c

Of course, the actual name might change from tool to tool. I think quartus instead calls them:
logic a.ip1
logic a.ip2
logic a.z

The tool will then use them normally with these as net names or register names. So you see the structure itself went away, the members of the struct are dealt with separately. And if one member is not used, synthesis will just wipe it away.

One hint though, I always use packed structs in synthesis. It just makes it easier to assign one to another. I guess it could work with unpacked structs, but I never tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back