Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Street Lighting Controller based on Longitude and Latitude ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

latecomer

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
schmitt trigger street light controller

Hello all,
I'm looking for a solution for making a street lighting controller using microcontroller. The street lighting controller should have option to programme the longitude and latitude so that the sunrise and sunset timing can be internally set for switching ON and OFF the street light. Has anyone worked on similar application before ? Anyone can help me in locating the formula used for calculating the sunrise and sunset time based on longitude,latitude and month?
Thanks in advance.

street light control using ldr

Hi Latecomer,

Don't make your life much more complicated than it is. You don't need any formula to calculate the sunrise and sunset time based, simply because your application don't need it.
Try to imagine a small storm in the middle of day, when natural lights go down (obvious if your lighting company could afford and handle that).
Thus, to switch ON / OFF the street light you need a good light transducer (read photocell), a micro + software (though an ordinary and cheep 555 timer could be suitable as well).
Set two adjusting sensitive threshold level for proper dark and light, when you need to switch ON / OFF the street light, apply a small hysteresys in order to avoid false thriggering and that's all.
This way you'll succeed to solve the problem, even when huge and black clouds covers the sky.

Regards,
Silvio

street light control+microcontroller+ldr

Hi,

I worked on a similar project that has no mcu in it.I used a small ldr, 2 transistors, 4 resistors and relay.Just all.The ldr controls bias current of transistors.That's it.If you need a schematic just ring me.

Analyzer.

Yes Analyzer,

I forgot about that simple schmitt trigger circuit.

h3_57.gif

Back to the old school days. Yes you're right.

I've search a little on net to find a suitable link for comments. Here it is:

**broken link removed**

Yep,

If you want to control with an ic just use built-in schmitt trigger ttl ic's That is much practical :)

Analyzer

Re: schmitt trigger street light controller

latecomer said:
Hello all,
I'm looking for a solution for making a street lighting controller using microcontroller. The street lighting controller should have option to programme the longitude and latitude so that the sunrise and sunset timing can be internally set for switching ON and OFF the street light. Has anyone worked on similar application before ? Anyone can help me in locating the formula used for calculating the sunrise and sunset time based on longitude,latitude and month?
Thanks in advance.
i am working just like same project .
i hope some idea ,u can find hear

Re: schmitt trigger street light controller

latecomer said:
Anyone can help me in locating the formula used for calculating the sunrise and sunset time based on longitude,latitude and month?
I did a quick googling and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise_equation.
Probably, your circuit will need to be aware of real time too.

Re: Street Lighting Controller based on Longitude and Latitu

The simplest method is to have a solar light sensor at a central location that turns the power on and off for the whole lighting system. Knowing the location does not give you the added parameters of clouds attenuating the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.