Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Storage Oscilloscopes can only measure circuits that has a triggered event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny davis

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If a circuit is triggered by an event, input voltage or current, my manager said I have to use a storage o-scope because the circuit is triggered by an event is this true cant use a non- storage scope?

When a circuit is triggered by an event, what does that mean?

What can the EVENT be to trigger a circuit? please give examples

Storage oscilloscopes are useful where events happen infrequently as a normal analog oscilloscope may not show a visible trace. Analog storage oscilloscopes exist although I doubt they are made now. They stored the waveform with a modified CRT. Digital storage is the norm now.

Keith

Storage oscilloscopes are useful where events happen infrequently as a normal analog oscilloscope may not show a visible trace.

What do you mean by events happen Infrequently?

Why can't you use a normal non storage oscilloscope for this?

A CRT has a limited persistence time so when you run the timebase slowly - say one a second sweep - all you will see is a dot moving across the screen. It will not stay illuminated long enough to see a line. This makes it difficult to see what you want to see. Analog storage oscilloscopes have a longer, adjustable persistence.

Even a fast sweep would be difficult to see on a CRT if the even doesn't repeat very often e.g. If you had a 1us sweep but the event only happened once every second.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back