[STM32] Strange behaviour on PWM output, duty-cycle <50%

Lucast85

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I'm going to drive a low side mosfet with a PWM signal with variable duty-cycle in the range 10%-100% but I see the duty-cycle is variable only in the range 99%-50% (see the video below).

The frequency is 100Hz and the mosfet driver is an PNP so the pin PC9 (net PWM_1) of the microcontroller (STM32F407) is set to AF open drain. See the attached schematic.

When the uC pin pull to GND the pin PC9 (PWM_1), the external PNP and the power mosfet closes so the load is powered. When PWM_1 is open-drain, the PNP and the mosfet are off.

The timer3 clock is 20MHz, the prescaler is 2500 and the auto-reload-register is 100 so the PWM freq. is 100Hz. In the main loop I change the capture compare register (CCR) between 1 and 99 thus I expect to see a duty-cycle variable with the time in the range 1-99%.
From 99% to 50% seems ok but when the CCR is set below 50 (d.c. <50%) happened something courious. The waveform is the V_EB voltage of the PNP Q28.
Your browser is not able to display this video.

It seems like if the uC try to drive the PNP with a mixed mode (push-pull from half period and t and with Open-drain from t and T). I'm sure that PC9 is configured as AF-OD with no internal pull-up and no pull-down resistors.

Hi,

if there is a problem generating less than 50% duty cycle ouput then it´s a problem of the STM32 code.

The external hardware has nothing to do with it. (indeed we even don´t know the PWM1 voltage levels. So a review of the signal is impossible.)

--> Just check "PWM1" node timing.

I can´t open the video (indeed also don´t like to).

Is your math correct?
20MHz / 2500 = 8kHz
now if you use a 100 to 0 down counter the resulting frequency is 8000/100 = 80Hz ... according my math.

If you need help you should provide your code.

Klaus