Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[STM32] Strange behaviour on PWM output, duty-cycle <50%

Lucast85

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I'm going to drive a low side mosfet with a PWM signal with variable duty-cycle in the range 10%-100% but I see the duty-cycle is variable only in the range 99%-50% (see the video below).

The frequency is 100Hz and the mosfet driver is an PNP so the pin PC9 (net PWM_1) of the microcontroller (STM32F407) is set to AF open drain. See the attached schematic.
PWM_STM32_issue.png

When the uC pin pull to GND the pin PC9 (PWM_1), the external PNP and the power mosfet closes so the load is powered. When PWM_1 is open-drain, the PNP and the mosfet are off.

The timer3 clock is 20MHz, the prescaler is 2500 and the auto-reload-register is 100 so the PWM freq. is 100Hz. In the main loop I change the capture compare register (CCR) between 1 and 99 thus I expect to see a duty-cycle variable with the time in the range 1-99%.
From 99% to 50% seems ok but when the CCR is set below 50 (d.c. <50%) happened something courious. The waveform is the V_EB voltage of the PNP Q28.

It seems like if the uC try to drive the PNP with a mixed mode (push-pull from half period and t and with Open-drain from t and T). I'm sure that PC9 is configured as AF-OD with no internal pull-up and no pull-down resistors.

Hi,

if there is a problem generating less than 50% duty cycle ouput then it´s a problem of the STM32 code.

The external hardware has nothing to do with it. (indeed we even don´t know the PWM1 voltage levels. So a review of the signal is impossible.)

--> Just check "PWM1" node timing.

I can´t open the video (indeed also don´t like to).

Is your math correct?
20MHz / 2500 = 8kHz
now if you use a 100 to 0 down counter the resulting frequency is 8000/100 = 80Hz ... according my math.

If you need help you should provide your code.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: