Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STI-5500 -> external AC3 decoder ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrider

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been playing with my old Pansat300a receiver for a while now. Some time back I managed to crash the firmware trying to upgrade using the wrong software version from the pansat site etc... Well its up and running again.

So now I'm looking into the possibility of adding an SPDIF output to it. Many channels broadcast in AC3 only. I can't hack pay channels on this box but I'm not interested in that. So AC3 would be the only real reason to get a newer receiver. Otherwise it works fine.

Newer receivers have the port built in, but they use the STI5518, and this box uses the STI5500. The STI5500 data sheets show a port for an external AC3 decoder, but I really don't know whats involved. So far I haven't found a receiver that already has spdif using the sti5500, but then they don't exactally advertise specs for the STI/receiver chips so I have nothing to campare to.

Can someone enlighten me as to how much would have to be done to do this?
Would the firmware have to be different?

I don't know anything about writing code for this thing so if thats the case I would only have the unlikely option of using firmware from a receiver that does have the 5500, and an spdif output.

Thanks Mike B.

Status
Not open for further replies.