Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STEPPER MOTOR - how doesthey work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: STEPPER MOTOR

A stepper motor typically has 4 coils. Inside the motor, these coils relate to metal parts on the shaft in such a way that each step is only so many degrees. One stepper motor I use has 20 steps per rotation, or 18 degrees per step.

By activating the coils in sequence, the motor only rotates to the next step. Coil one is 0 degrees, turn on coil 2 while turning off coil 1, 18 degrees. Turn on coil 3 while turning off coil 2, 27 degrees. You have a very precise control of how fast the motor turns in a single rotation. You can hold one coil on and not step, thereby locking the motor. To turn the other way, reverse steps.

Another kind of stepper motor only has 2 coils. You reverse the voltage alternately on each coil to get the next step.

I've seen stepper motors that had 400 steps per revolution that I've pulled off old hard drives.

Re: STEPPER MOTOR

can u explain the interfacing of stepper motor with 8051 microcontroller??

STEPPER MOTOR

You can use "pic simulator IDE" There is a version for 8051 also

This software got stepper motor indicator ( 2 coils)
Got basic and assambler as compiler.

STEPPER MOTOR

give them the rod instead of fish..

those simple questions have answers at google...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back