Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythreyi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all...

I am working with 1.8 degree stepper motor with 1/8 microstepping. thus it gives 1600 steps per revolution. So I need a feedback to check its proper working. Application requires accurate no of steps.

Please suggest me a feedback method. I read posts and saw in google that we can use rotory encoder, slotted wheel, optical encoder etc etc...I am messed up with all these..kindly suggest me which methods suits this application.

Thanks
Myth

you can use any one depending upon the availability of components in your location.
some times getting components is the biggest challenge so check the components first.

Who is the manufacturer of your stepper motor? What is the model of your stepper motor? Check for available options from the manufacture.

BigDog

An optical or a magnetic encoder could give the required feedback in therms of resolution. The start questions are what are the mechanical requirements(shaft diameter?) and whether to design the encoder yourself or buy a complete product? To avoid alignment it is better to go for a higher resolution!

SST43D..from SHINANO KENSHI.

I need a high resolution feedback but cost as low as possible.

If low cost is needed and 12-bit resolution is enough a magnetic encoder would be worst to check out, like the iC-MH8 or iC-MHA with just Sin/Cos outputs. More details on magnetic encoders are under: iC-Haus Homepage - keyword: Magnetic Encoder iCs . It would need a magnet on the shaft and the one iC to get a complete encoder with different output options. One chip optical encoder would need a code disc on the shaft and are mechanically more of a challenge. Different optical solutions you find here: iC-Haus Homepage - keyword: Optical Encoder iCs.

Enjoy your New Year celebration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back