Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor driver circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali shaheen

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

i have two stepper motors which i am using in my project...both are from the manufacturer "VEXTA" ...the problem is this that i want a driving IC or a circuit from which I can be able to drive these motors.......I had used ULn2003a but it only can provide 500ma/phase....also i had used transistors HSD313 (its capable of ataining 3Amp ) but of no use....I am using the power supply of personal computer......please help...................

thanks
best regards
ALI SHAHEEN

well i had made myself a driver circuitry...and its working fine...I used darlingtons HSD313 in it....!!!!!!!!
any ways thnx

---------- Post added at 01:31 ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 ----------

hello

the link of the schematic is provided....Its a rough schematic...I had used DARLINGTONS HSD313 (its 3A ) my steppers are working fine but......not giving me the perfect or strong torque....I hope that might be the problem of power supply...but I am using 800w computer power supply....................I hope I had made my self clear....and yes I am using these heavy stepper motors of 1.6A and the second one is 2A stepper motors the are my requirements of my project......

regards
ALI SHAHEEN

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/47_1294345887.png

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

thnx to 'ckshivaram' I hope i could find these IC's within my local market

---------- Post added at 01:43 ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 ----------

but there is a problem I am still getting that is I am not getting the full torque from the stepper motors.....I think it due to the power supply.....hey do you know which two wires are shorted in power supply to make it work out from the PC......I had shorted the GREEN AND BLACK one...It is giving me perfect 5v and 12V but the motors is having the holding torque of what it is specified.......

I really don't understand your schematic. Did you really make it like this?

I think you should connect the positive power supply terminal to the common of the motor coils, and pull down the other side of the coils with your darlington transistors. Maybe adding a resistor in series with the coils for current limitation.

(and adding freewheel diodes across the motor windings)

but there is a problem I am still getting that is I am not getting the full torque from the stepper motors.....I think it due to the power supply.....hey do you know which two wires are shorted in power supply to make it work out from the PC......I had shorted the GREEN AND BLACK one...It is giving me perfect 5v and 12V but the motors is having the holding torque of what it is specified.......

Yes, you should ground (black) the PS_ON line (green). You should also apply the minimum loads to the voltage rails so that the transformer is balanced. Read the label on the side and look at the minimum currents needed, then pick big power resistors to dissipate that power. see more here: How to Convert a Computer ATX Power Supply to a Lab Power Supply - wikiHow

For the low torque, you may need some bulk storage capacitance on the +12V line. The switch-mode PC power supplies are good at steady-state voltages with high current, but since there isn't much storage capacitance, it can't quickly change duty cycle to provide an instantaneous change in current. You might put an oscope on your +12V line and see if it dips when you want max torque (or any test condition that require lots of current). If it dips, go find some large 15, 18 or 20+ V electrolytic caps and hang them off your +12V supply to give you some storage capacity for those bursts of high-current. I've found some 0.5 and 1 farad 12V caps over the years... they work quite nicely for this purpose. :)

SALAM/HELLO/NAMASTEY

THANK YOU EVERY ONE WHO HELPED ME ON THIS PLATFORM....AS A RESULT OF YOUR HELP I GOT 4.0GPA IN MY FYP-1....AND I HOPE THAT THIS SUPPORT WILL CONTINUE ON TO MY FYP-2 LEVEL ALSO.........THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHHHH.............ONCE AGAIN.

best regards
ali shaheen

Status
Not open for further replies.