Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor and l297 OR ULN2003A

Status
Not open for further replies.

lina889

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello am working to controlling stepper motor in my simulation i use ULN2003A chip
but now i want to make it hardware i here about l297 chip to controlling stepper motor what is is the best ??
can i use just ULN2003a and the stepper will work cause in my simulation it's work but i have no idea about the hardware
please anyone can help me in that

Hi,

If you use the uln2003 as the driver then the Pic has to create and control all the pulses, whereas the L297 does that for you.

As Ckshivaram says the size of the motor affects what output chip you have to use.
The Unl2003 is capable of 500ma per output pin.
The L297 is designed to be used with the L298 driver chip which can take about 2amps - see the L297 datasheet.

So you have several options depending on the size of your motor

Pic - uln2003
Pic - L298
Pic - L297 - L298

There are many other driver chips around.

thanks for replaying i want it to rotate ones to 90 degree and back or to 180 and back i just want it to do that

What type of stepper motor, anyway? Bipolar would make it rather tricky to use the ULN2003A because you need to both source and sink current. I tried to whip up a circuit to drive a bipolar stepper with ULN (2803 in my case) some time ago but it was a very inefficient way of doing it and would only work OK far smallish motors.

That is of course in addition to the biggest difference between the chips: the ULN is just a driver (increases current you can control) and L297 chip is a controller, i.e. it produces the correct sequence of levels to energize the windings of the stepper but it cannot drive it by itself - output is not powerful enough.

I honestly think you wanted to say "L298 or ULN2003A" . Then it would make total sense because both are drivers and the answer would be very easy: "ULN for unipolar and L298 for bipolar steppers".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back