Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting up separately excited dc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer1000

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The rotor resistance of my Separately excited dc motor is approx. 3.5R with a voltage of 120V. I need a way of limiting the current on start up .What is the conventional way of doing this. I have thought of adding resistance in series with the armature winding but at what point do you remove this resistance and how?

There is a device that was used in color televisions that had the CRT display. It was called "In rush limiter."
Looked somewhat like a thermistor. It starts out with a high resistance and then goes to a lower resistance.
But that was used in an AC circuit on the input to the power transformer.

Are you going to apply the full rated voltage (from instance, from a battery) from a dead-stop, or can you change the armature voltage (via SCRs)?

-If the latter, you only have to ramp up slowly the voltage from zero, via SCR control.
-If the former, the best way is to use a power resistor with an ohmic value equal to the input voltage divided by the FL armature current. In parallel with the resistor, there should be a N.O. relay contact, which will close after a brief period of time. This period of time can be set up with a simple timer, or via an armature current sensor.

In all instances make sure that the field is fully excited. This will provide the proper back-EMF when the motor gets up to speed.

Because of the amount of power involved, NTC thermistors are not advisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.