Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all ,

i have worked with 8051 and AVR family using Assembly language and now i want to learn how to work with FPGAs and ...

at first what's the complete words of PLD, SPLD, GAL, CPLD, FPGA ???
and what's their difference ,
can you give a good link for starting learning it ??
i have bought XC9536 and XC9572 (44pin) CPLD , is it good for a simple project for example a keyboard and LCD or at least flashing LED ?

Thanks &
Best Regards.

Did you buy only the CPLD chips? If you don't yet have a development board, I suggest you buy one, because it makes learning much easier and more fun. I suggest the new "High Volume Starter Kit Bundle (HW-SPAR3-CPLD-DK)" because it includes both a CPLD kit and an FPGA kit for only $99 US:
**broken link removed**

If you haven't yet considered learning FPGA, please do so! They are a lot more flexible than CPLD.

Please search this forum or Google for those acronyms. The question has been asked/answered many times.

I consider this book one of the best in explaining simply all the main differences between devices you just mentioned.
check it at this link:

As echo mentioned try doing more searching for other books around here.
The book I mentioned only includes about one chapter about the main functionalities and drawbacks of all the devices you just named, but works intensively on FPGA's.

Just trying to give you a guide line, Good luck

Salam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…