Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting to learn CPLD/FPGA and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all ,

i have worked with 8051 and AVR family using Assembly language and now i want to learn how to work with FPGAs and ...

at first what's the complete words of PLD, SPLD, GAL, CPLD, FPGA ???
and what's their difference ,
can you give a good link for starting learning it ??
i have bought XC9536 and XC9572 (44pin) CPLD , is it good for a simple project for example a keyboard and LCD or at least flashing LED ?

Thanks &
Best Regards.

Did you buy only the CPLD chips? If you don't yet have a development board, I suggest you buy one, because it makes learning much easier and more fun. I suggest the new "High Volume Starter Kit Bundle (HW-SPAR3-CPLD-DK)" because it includes both a CPLD kit and an FPGA kit for only $99 US:
**broken link removed**

If you haven't yet considered learning FPGA, please do so! They are a lot more flexible than CPLD.

Please search this forum or Google for those acronyms. The question has been asked/answered many times.

I consider this book one of the best in explaining simply all the main differences between devices you just mentioned.
check it at this link:

As echo mentioned try doing more searching for other books around here.
The book I mentioned only includes about one chapter about the main functionalities and drawbacks of all the devices you just named, but works intensively on FPGA's.

Just trying to give you a guide line, Good luck

Salam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back