Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SR flip flop design in Ltspice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul.6sept

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm trying to design a clocked SR flip-flop in Ltspice with a pulsed voltage source. I set the time step 100 ms. When I run it gives an error "Time step too small". I increased the time step but it does not solve the issue. Please advice me a solution to it. Attached herewith my circuit.

Attachments

• SR Flip Flop.rar
    613 bytes · Views: 279

What are you calling a "clocked SR"? Those don't really go together. A JK FF is sorta like that. A SR FF is asynchronous.

100ms is pretty large for low voltage logic (and about anything else) as a.timestep.

Bistable logic wants an initialization. The "R" state asserted at DC maybe. But by im0osing a clock you may defeat any reset unless an async reset path is added.

Wrong circuit. A2 and A4 have inverting feedback. What do you try to achieve?

1641045262843.png

--- Updated ---

Guess you want to model a gated SR latch:

1641046907788.png

Problem is that it needs an initial condition for the output latch, also it doesn't handle the input condition S=1 and R=1 which causes an undefined output in real hardware.
--- Updated ---

You can overcome the RS latch race condition by introducing a small asymmetry, e.g. adding a pF load capacitance to one of the outputs.
--- Updated ---

1641047866747.png

Attachments

• sr_ff1.zip
    1,007 bytes · Views: 243
  • sr_ff2.zip
    1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.