Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

square wave generator with 50 % duty cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

morshed005

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to make a perfect 100 kHz pulse with 50 % duty cycle. If a perfect 200kHz pulse can be generated, I know how to make it 100 kHz perfect 50 % duty cycle with flip flop. So I want the best solution to make a 200 kHz pulse generator. Does 555 timer (bipolar one) make a perfect 200 kHz pulse?
In the datasheet I didnot find any specs

what is the difference between pulse and square wave? i wanted to know whether 555 timer can produce that frequency correctly. thank you, kam1787 for your quick reply.

to me,

a pulse is single event - a single pulse
square wave generator or Astable Multivibrator generates a stream of pulses

yes the 555 can work at 200kHZ but if you want a 'perfect' square wave generator you ought to look at a higher performing IC or discrete design

Generating a 400kHz signal with a 555 and running that through a toggle flip-flop will make a 200kHz perfect square-wave.

You can use a 4060 with a 3.2, 6.4 MHz ... crystal connected clock (see the data sheet) divided down to 200 kHz and then a flip-flop to get the 50% duty cycle.

thank you, guys. your ideas are working for me right now

i am trying 4060. but in proteus i just dont get any pulse. i have been using 3.2 MHz crystal. but proteus model is not giving any pulse. how to solve this? i have used the resistors and capacitors value as given in the image except the crystal of 3.2 MHz
pain.png

Do you have a valid model for the crystal? Most simulators have a hard time to simulate crystal circuits due to the high Q of the crystal requiring long simulation times. Post your design file, so we can look at it.

Below, I have substituted the crystal by a lower Q LC circuit. As you can see it simulates well in Multisim.

Attachments

• 3.2M_osc.gif
    3.2M_osc.gif
    67.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back