Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spectre F and NF calculation wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwieg

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been simulating a mixer+LNA using PNOISE in spectre, and I can't make sense of how F and NF are being calculated from the simulated input referred noise. Below is an example result, input noise and NF are at the bottom:

At 1MHz, my input referred noise is Vn=0.937nV/√Hz, and my source is a 50Ω port (Vs=0.91nV/√Hz). But spectre calculates NF as 6.42dB and F as 4.39. But F should be F=1+(Vn/Vs)², where Vn and Vs are in V/√Hz, which should give F=2.06 and NF=3.14dB. From looking at different points on the plots, it seems like spectre is using the formula F=4*(Vn/Vs)². Why is this? Is it assuming a matched load on my source? My input is a relatively high impedance, so this is not the case...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back