Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] SPARTAN 3A Starter Kit connection to laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

technochrat

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have a Spartan 3A starter board.

I would like to know which one of the below 2 ethods will be a better way to interface it to my laptop (No RS-232) fro debugging.

1.Use an RS-232 to to USB covertor and connect to laptop.
I hope that the convertor will have a Virtual com port driver and so I can use Hyperterminal.

2.User an UART to USB PMOD from digilent on the 6-pin expansion connector with hyperterminal and VCP drivers.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

1.Use an RS-232 to to USB covertor and connect to laptop.
I hope that the convertor will have a Virtual com port driver and so I can use Hyperterminal.

That is generally easier and cheaper. So if that constitutes "bettter" for you go with that. Those USB/RS232 converters will show as a virtual comm port as you say, so yes could use hyperterminal for that.

The only thing to be wary of is that a true RS232 interface could present voltages of up to ±25 V. If you connect this directly to an FPGA input pin, you will destroy it.

Either find a USB-UART converter with 2.5/3.3 V logic levels (I would confirm the voltages with an oscilloscope if I wasn't sure), or use the Digilent PMod if you want to play it safe.

The only thing to be wary of is that a true RS232 interface could present voltages of up to ±25 V. If you connect this directly to an FPGA input pin, you will destroy it.

There is already a UART to RS-232 level covertor on the Spartan board,so its already taken care of.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

@mrfibble
Thank you,I took your word for it..and have working debug interface.!!!! :)

Yep.. if you've got one built in.. that's the one to use ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.