Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spark retard unit for car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: spark retard unit help

Isn't this really the ideal project for a microcontroller?
You will have control over the delay at any frequency, which is effectively the ignition map of car ignition management unit.

I dont know how to use PIC to do that if you could give me an example.....?:???: ,, i supose i can delay it but how can i output the same analog signal that its in the input .. i supose i have to use ADC for the input , but for the output ?

Last edited:

The delay must be longer for slower rpm, and shorter for high rpm. This is not obvious to achieve.

In the spirit of experimentation...

I assembled a simulation which illustrates a possible way to achieve the 10-degree delay.

1) The TDC pulse is fed to a frequency-to-voltage converter. This consists of a 555 configured as a one-shot, followed by an averaging capacitor.

2) The output is applied to a capacitor (ramp capacitor). The capacitor charges faster in proportion to engine rpm.

3) When it charges to a particular volt level, the comparator triggers. It triggers sooner when engine rpm is higher.

4) the ramp capacitor is discharged.

The scope traces show:
1) the TDC pulse (I chose 1% duty cycle, not knowing how long it lasts).
2) output from the 555 IC.
3) volt level on C3 (F-to-V capacitor).
4) volt level on C4 (ramp capacitor).
5) comparator output.

It will need a lot of adjusting in order to make it operate properly.

Reactions: dope40

dope40

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I haven't got an example but look at something like the Arduino which has a great user support forum to help newbies.
You buy a board (Uno is oldest and cheapest) but it comes with the free online compiler which is tailored towards beginners.
You will probably need a more powerful board (faster), but the code is basically the same.

Reactions: dope40

dope40

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.