Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound icon disappears from system tray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

furqankaimkhani

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my system tray is missing the sound icon. I have soundMax driver. I reinstalled it. but it did not help. I went to control panel and in sounds and audio devices. In volume tab, i saw an option "place volume icon in the task bar". When i checked it an error occured. I have attached it's snap shot. It says that the volume control program is not installed. I have re installed the sound driver but it does not help. What do i do? Untitled.png

Re: sound icon disappear

I have SoundMax on my Win XP laptop.

I too tried selecting the option to show the volume icon on the task bar. I don't think it ever did so consistently. It's gone years this way.

Windows is prone to this kind of quirky behavior. Same with the battery icon. When I go on battery power it doesn't always show the battery icon like I want it too.

Did you shut down the computer since this problem developed? Sometimes you need to do so after installing (or re-installing) something.

yes! i had shut down the computer after re installing. I even restarted the computer and also tried a log off and ON. but no benefit...

Try running the 'Add/Remove Programs' control panel.

It may list some package that has to do with Sound, etc. Go through all the categories.

You might find some package/tool/setting that can be added. Or maybe it was corrupted and needs to be removed and installed again.

1. Verify Device Manager is error free after driver is installed.

2. Win+R run >Systray {enter}

3. If still missing after above is done, restore sndvol32.
- 1st test it.> win+R{run} >sndvol32 {enter}
Any errors?
If so, locate win xp source files on C or cd

win+r> cmd{enter}

Navigate to the i386 folder by typing
cd i386
Press Enter
Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing
expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32
Press Enter

Last edited:

Start > Run, then type :

regsvr32 -u SndVolSSO.dll <Enter>
regsvr32 SndVolSSO.dll <Enter>

windows audio "service" prevents sound if stopped even if you have the icon,
SndVolSSO.dll is the library with the sound icons that goes into the tray
systray.exe runs the tray applet to make sure all the registered icons are showing in the tray for XP
but the windows audio drivers need to be present as well as the 3rd party driver in Device Mgr.

Otherwise you have a trojan and you ought to run combofix.exe from bleepingcomputer.com

windows audio "service" prevents sound if stopped even if you have the icon,
SndVolSSO.dll is the library with the sound icons that goes into the tray
systray.exe runs the tray applet to make sure all the registered icons are showing in the tray for XP
but the windows audio drivers need to be present as well as the 3rd party driver in Device Mgr.

Otherwise you have a trojan and you ought to run combofix.exe from bleepingcomputer.com

Completely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back