Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some questions for users of Agilent E5515C/8960 and R&S CMU200

Status
Not open for further replies.

campylobacterchicken

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I just registered and wonder if there are any users of Agilent/Kezsight E5515C/E aka 8960 Series 10 and Rohde & Schwarz CMU200 Communication Test Sets around? The thing is that I can get an E5515C and a CMU200 for cheap and wonder if they can be used for something else than just CDMA/GSM/whatever testing, i.e. as a general RF synthesizer and very simple Spectrum Analyzer.

For example, the E5515C I can get comes with the E1962B CDMA2000 software. According to the spec sheet the RF synthesizer covers 292-2700MHz. Does that mean the synthesizer can be set to provide CW out at any frequency within this range, or is it limited to certain (CDMA) frequencies? What about the Spectrum Monitor? Can it be used across the whole frequency range, or does it work only at certain frequencies?

And how about the R&S CMU200? The specs and manuals I found suggest that it can be used at any frequency within the specified 100kHz to 2700MHz. Is that true? Would I need any special option to use it as a simple CW RF synthesizer and simple Spectrum Analyzer?

I did check the available documentation online but couldn't get a definitive answer so I'm relying on actual users of these devices.

I of course know that both devices are essentially made for special purpose comms testing and that there are better, more suitable devices for general purpose use. However, I can get any of these for cheap, and if they can be used over the whole frequency range this would be great.

Thanks,

C.

Yes, CMU200 and Agilent 8960 Communication Test sets can be used as simple Spectrum Analyzers and Signal Generators (modulated or CW) for the specified frequency range.
I don't know what you mean "get for cheap", because those devices can cost many tens of thousands even as second hand products.

Thanks for your reply, and for confirmation that I can use them as simple RF synthesizer and SA.

With 'get for cheap' I meant a couple of hundred dollars for the E5515C (which I now bought and which is on its way). The CMU200 would cost me roughly a grand but at the moment I'm not sure if that is worth it over the E5515C.

I can only congratulate you for buying this device for such low price.
CMU200 have better dynamic range than 8960, and also have two more RF input/output connectors, which might be helpful for some applications.

Thanks. I noticed that the CMU200 has more RF inputs/outputs, which I agree could be a benefit. Also that there seems to be a Service Manual available (I couldn't find one for the E5515C but that's probably because this thing is still sold by Keysight).

Do you by chance know what operating system the CMU200 runs? I know the E5515C runs VxWorks but from what I've seen it looks like the CMU200 runs some kind of DOS/Windows (3.1? 95?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back