Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some questions about flash adc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiportoolmo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I'm designing a full flash adc,5 bit, 4 GS/s.

I have a big doubt about the choise of Vref. in many papers i saw that there are Vref+ and Vref-, why?

for example if the input is a sinewave Asin(2*pi*fin*t) with A=1V, power supply is 1.2 V, How can i choose Vref+ and Vref-?
In this example 1 LSB is equal to???

Hello,

If you consider an wave with middle tension equal to zero, then you need to have + vref and - vref to convert all the wave. If you have the continuos component, then depending of its value, you only need the +vref.

Regards

ok, but if the wave doesn't have negative value,I have to use onlly Vref?

in the case the wave has this form, how can I choose Vref+ and Vref-?
Which is the value of 1 LSB if the resolution is 5 bit?

The +vref -vref is relative to your common-mode voltage. If your vss=0V and vdd=1.2V, your common-mode voltage might be somewhere between, say, 450mV and 650mV (depending on how you design your comparator). Let's say 500mV for sake of discussion. Your +vref could be 800mV and your -vref coud then be 200mV. It really depends on what your THA can deliver to the comparators.

so Vref+ and -vref are indipendent by the input signal? they depend only by the common mode voltage,Vss and Vdd?

The input signal must be within +vref and -vref, of course!

yes sure!Thanks

and about the value of 1 LSB? 1 Lsb= (+VREF - VREF-)/2^N, ?

sorry but I have other questions:

In this scheme what does mean Vin+ and vin-?
Can you explain me with an example?

i'm simulating the Track and Hold with pspice student,how can I calculate the HD3 and SNR with Pspice?

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.