Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some questions about EMX simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolsummer

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I’m new to EMX and I have some questions:

1. In EMX user manual, it says :”By default, EMX attaches a voltage source from each label in the structure to the ground plane.” and the infinite ground plane is beneath the bottom layer. I think the ground plane is beneath the bottom layer so that the simulation can include the influence of the substrate, is that right? (the ground plane in red has a certain width for display convenience)

2. In the schematic created by EMX (for example a single ended inductor), there is a “GND” net even if I specify nothing in “Grounds” of “Ports” section, does this “GND” net represent the infinite plane beneath the bottom layer in the picture?

3. What’s the difference between “Signal” and “Grounds” in “Ports” section and when should I specify ports in “Grounds” ? Does the “Grounds” mean infinite ground plane beneath the bottom layer? (Well I guess not but I’m just confused by them)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.png
    2.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

I'm not familiar with EMX but it uses MoM like Method and if it's true, Infinite Global GND Plane is the Common Ground Plane for all ports unless particular GND connection is not defined.So if you leave blank "Grounds" field, Ports will be considered as referenced to Global Ground otherwise there should be particular GND for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.