Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some magnetic theory - theory of magnetic circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pina

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
magnetic theoy

Hello,
I've been through the books, but I just cannot find an answer. Let's say you have an E type core of known geometry and permeability. On it, you have a winding with N turns. My question is, how to you calculate the maximum current the core can handle without saturation, giving Bmax=0.3 T (for example...).

Any ideas?

Best regards!

Re: Some magnetic theory

I've been through the books, but I just cannot find an answer.
In other words, you didn't understand the theory of magnetic circuit (relation of magnetization, permeability, flux) at all. I doubt, if it's helpful to answer with a formula in this case. Generally, you should look out for more basic literature or read the said books more thoroughly.

To give a short answer anyway, if you apply a magnetizing current to the core, it's primarly causing a field strength H, which has the unit A/m. Assuming an uniform ungapped core and no stray field, you simply get

H = N•I/le

le is the effective magnetic path length, it's given in the core data sheet. If you only know a Bsat value for the core, you have to find the corresponding Hsat from the magnetization curve, or calculate an estimated value from the known core µr.

P.S.: The Ferrite tool from Epcos.com can help you to do some core calculations.

Re: Some magnetic theory

Hi Pina !

Usefull theory about inductor and transformers design you will find in book on

**broken link removed**.

Status
Not open for further replies.