Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solutions for power supply redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

arash rezaee

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every one.
I have +12volt power supply and I want to redundant them in my design. the simple way is to use direct path diode in both wire of 12+ powers. But as all you know, we have static and dynamic resistor in each diode. So approximately +12 will reduce to 11.3 or lower when the current goes high. So, Do you know any other solution for redundant the power supply? I am using Meanwell power supply to have +12.

Regards
Arash

Re: power supply redundancy

Here's a copy-paste after a quick google ..... which you could have done as well :D

Use one of two current-sharing techniques to prevent a converter from overloading, including:
1.Active current sharing, which is usually found on higher-power modules. A separate signal line connects the paralleled modules and actively controls internal switching operation as a function of the sensed current level in each module.

2.Slope compensation uses a “soft” output voltage versus current characteristic, causing the output voltage of each module to automatically adjust downward as its current increases. Each module closely shares the total output current.

Hi every one.
I have +12volt power supply and I want to redundant them in my design. the simple way is to use direct path diode in both wire of 12+ powers. But as all you know, we have static and dynamic resistor in each diode. So approximately +12 will reduce to 11.3 or lower when the current goes high. So, Do you know any other solution for redundant the power supply? I am using Meanwell power supply to have +12.

Regards
Arash

Just using a 12.7V input to get 12V output.

Thanks for all reply. I finally did it by using a relay which is switching to second one when the main power supply drop.

Thanks for all reply. I finally did it by using a relay which is switching to second one when the main power supply drop.

Oh I see. So your original question was badly worded then. What you have done is not called "redundant"..., it's called power backup. If you're powering some digital circuits with that, then expect a reset when the relay flips, since you will have tens of mSes delay.

Redundancy is usually used where you expect mains to be available, but one of your PS units itself to have failed.

In YOUR case though, you don't even need a 2nd PS unit. Just switch the mains at your single PS input. D-oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.