selva500

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lp3 package

Hi All.

Im working on a circuit that requires an LNA. The LNA im looking at is a 3 x 3 mm QUAD FLATPACK NO-LEAD (QFN) PLASTIC PACKAGE.
https://www.hittite.com/content/documents/data_sheet/hmc548lp3.pdf

I assume there wont be any legs on the component to solder it on to the PCB. How do I then attach the LNA to the PCB. Is there a way to solder it manually or must it be done by a device of some sort? I want to know as I may have to test out a couple of different circuits and its important that I can remove and reattach the LNA on these various circuits. Thanks.[/u]

pizza oven pcb soldering

Hi,

Thanks for that. It certainly gave me an idea of how it could be done, although I dont know if we have the hot air station here and the cost of the IC (US$100+) makes me hesitant to try something like that out without any experience, but I will definitely keep it in mind. Under normal circumstances, is the soldering done by a PCB assembly company? As this might be an option I could consider although it would cost significantly more I would imagine. Thanks.

Selva

You can solder SMD boards also in a pizza oven or on a hot plate (my preferred method). There have been various discussions on EDAboard before.

Personally, I think that applying solder paste would be a faster and better method than presoldering the QFN pads with an iron as suggested. But I assume, the method can work, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…