Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft latching circuit video, not understanding some parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

arichardli

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I was watching the following videohttps://youtu.be/tjrSdET6NFc?t=125, and I have some trouble understanding that circuit. When the turn on button was pressed, the circuit latches to an on state, but the PNP transistor has current flowing out from the emitter and base, I thought conventional current goes into the emittor out to base in a PNP transistor, why does this one have current flowing outwards?

A follow up:
When both switch are open, the resistors act as shorts, and we see 5V to the left of the on button switch, but when the switch closes, the 5V turns on the npn, which allows current to flow throw the pnp which in turn switches it on. When the off button is pressed, the base of the npn gets shorted which turns off the npn, and in turn turns the whole circuit off. Is my understanding correct?

The PNP appears to be upside-down (C and E reversed). This is not typical since gain is much less than when it is right side up. Maybe it works okay in this position.

- - - Updated - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.