Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD soldering in Toaster oven Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronics_chaitanya

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all Experts

Recently i have seen many sites related to soldering SMD parts in Oven.they are mentioned that soldering temp. is about 210 C.which depends on the type of paste we are using.

I have confusion that i am using various tantalum capacitors and some transistors and ICs in my PCB will it damage if i put such components on temp of 210 C for 1-3 minutes?

Regards

I am interested to know how SMD parts are soldiers in industries?

As well as I want to know can I solder double side PCB in oven?

can I solder double side PCB in oven?
Yes.
Adhesive holds the parts so they won't fall.

I have confusion that i am using various tantalum capacitors and some transistors and ICs in my PCB will it damage if i put such components on temp of 210 C for 1-3 minutes?
The soldering time is much less then 3 minutes.
Also, you have to consider that the component's temperature rating refers to the "under power functionality". No power is applied to the board during the soldering process.

Hi,

sometimes you find this information in datasheets.

Here is one as an example: www.vishay.com/docs/40000/194d.pdf

Look for "Recommended Reflow Profiles".
In the chart you see the preheat area. This is to prepare the devices for the soldering. It is a relatively soft warm up. During this phase the flux is activated, too.
Then there is a relatively short soldering phase, where the solder paste melts. The controlled cooling phase ensures low mechanical stress.

If the information is not in the datasheet, then you should find it at the manufacturer homepage. Sometimes they refer to industry standards like: JEDEC J-STD-020 C

Klaus

Addition:
As well as I want to know can I solder double side PCB in oven?

Instead of adhesive you could use to solder paste with different temperatures. First side soldered with high temperature, other side with low temperature.

Klaus

Last edited:

preheat reflow and cool time are important.

220'C for 45 sec max
230'C for 30 sec max

with 15 second margin for extended time +cooling.

more is dangerous

But each vendor may have different profiles.

Hello

Thanks for your valuable advice.finally I have soldered some of resistors using oven .its quite impressive for me as before I solder using hot air gun.

Maximum temperature I reach about 190C.I start from 28 C total time of soldering is 5-6 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.