Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smart Battery System ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muoinhohn

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bq24721 schematic

Hi all
I'd like to known if batteries of mobile phone (like Nokia or Siemens...) are Smart Battery Systems ?
Thanks in advance

Yes, Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries used in cell phones are indeed smart batteries. These batteries are have a high capacity to weight ratio. They are considered the smart batteries because they communicate with the charger, by letting the charger about charging status. For example, the smart battery will let the charger know when it is finished charging. That is when you usually see the "Finished Charging" message on your cell phone. Lithium-ion is also environmentally friendly -- much better than Ni-Cd (nickel cadmium), for example.

Well, I think I should stop now ... I hope this information is useful. Do a google
search on "smart battery" and you will come up with lots of additional information.

Best regards,
v_c

Thanks for your reponse.
I'd like to use batteries of mobile phone in portable instrumentations. So that it is very usefull for me if there is descriptions about mobile batteries, specially about protocol. I heard the SMBus. But I'm not sure that mobile phone batteries are compliant to the statndard.
Please give me some advices!

The SMBus communications requires only two pins besides the analog ground pin—through the SDA (data) and SCL (clock) pins. In fact, it is just the standard I2C connection ..
The SMBus protocol summary can be found at:
**broken link removed**

To make you confuse even more, here is an example of "smart" battery charger based on the BQ24721 (see schematic below):
**broken link removed**

And finally, is the ‘smart’ battery help or deterrent?
Find answer here:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

muoinhohn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks IanP.

If it is possible, I'd like to known batteries of Nokia mobile are compliant completelt to the sandard of SMBus.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.