Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small LED at 470nm - difference btw 2 LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikediamond45

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a small, blue, flat LED with good wavelength coverage of 470nm.

I’m replicating an experiment which uses this LED:

NFSB036BT
**broken link removed**

Its hard to find, so I found a digikey alternative.

OVS5MBBCR4

https://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/US2011/P2884.pdf
**broken link removed**

Can someone tell me if there is a major difference in the emitted light spectrum of both LEDS.

From what I can tell, the NFSB036BT may be better suited for 470nm, since it mentions 470nm on the first graph on page 11.

All I really care about is enough lumens at 470nm. Can the OVS5MBBCR4 deliver the same amount of lumens as the NFSB036BT at 470nm?

What do you think?

All final products are tested and marked for ranking by color coordinates and luminous flux, so without knowing the correct rank of the involved products it’s difficult to compare with, as there’s a very large parameter dispersion to obtain the correct results. But, for a rough estimate:

-Nikia Blue LEDs intensity
3.2 lm up to 6.4 lm (dominant wavelength: 465nm - 475nm)
-OPTEK Blue LEDs intensity
4.9 lm up to 8.2 lm (dominant wavelength: 460 nm- 470nm)

If we consider 80% OPTEK LEDs emission intensity at 470nm, the statistical dispersion area: 3.92lm - 6.4 lm, similar to the Nikia Blue LEDs…

Both are 470 nm LEDs. According to the datasheets, typical intensity of OVS5MBBCR4 is 50 % higher (6 lm versus 4 lm), both at 150 mA. It should be O.K.

The specs look okay but 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'.

This project will probably need some experimentation. It's best to obtain a few different cat. no.'s so you can test them and find the optimum one.

Looks like the flat led's are physically fragile. Combined with exposure to soldering temps, it may be wise to get extras of a cat. no.

The led's are inexpensive considering those shipping costs.

Is it impossible to use 2 or more led's to increase total lumens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back