Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

size of patchantenna and maximum gain question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cross

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anybody now what is the maximum gain that can be achieved through a patch antenna design having the minimum possible dimensions?
I have seen patch antennas having a gain of 19 dBi (or even 23dBi) at dimensions of 0.37X0.37m (19dBi). Have you seen or do you know if we can achieve an antenna design with much more gain (>30dBi) and much smaller dimensions?

Kind Regards
Cross

fundamental limitations

You run into some fundamental and some practical limitations.

The gain of an array of radiators is the product of the individual radiator gain and the array factor. This is the absolute maximum gain. The array factor is set by the number and spacing of the individual radiators. The higher the gain of an individual radiator, the greater the spacing needed. One way to visualize this is the receiving mode and capture area. If the capture areas overlap, you do not get the full effects of the number of receptors.

The practical limit is the cumulative losses and phase errors of the tree of splitters used to feed the radiators.

I have to realize a planar antenna working from 6 to 12 GHz in linear or dual polarization .. Crosspolarization about -15 dB... I think the band is too large for a planara integrated antenna.. Can you give me some support please?

Merry Christmas
Lupin

Lupin said:
I have to realize a planar antenna working from 6 to 12 GHz in linear or dual polarization .. Crosspolarization about -15 dB... I think the band is too large for a planara integrated antenna.. Can you give me some support please?

Merry Christmas
Lupin

Hi,

I think that bandwidth is too large for plannar antenna. I have heard about some antennas with bandwidth around 50% but not like yours around 70%. Maybe you should consider designing two antennas for different bandwidths and put them into array instead of one.

Greets,
Redi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back