Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicnoob

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I am having a little problem designing a triangular wave generator with a single supply. I intend to use a Schmitt Trigger Comparator circuit and an inverting integrator to design the circuit.
  • Duty cycle = 0.5
  • Frequency = 8.5kHz
  • Supply voltage = 12 V (single supply operation)
  • Vmax = 7.3V
  • Vmin = 3.1V
All I know for now is the UTP = 7.3V and LTP = 3.1V.
I think I need an negative input for the inverting integrator for it to have a positive gradient part of my triangular wave. Is there any other way to do it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hi,

Can you bias it at an appropriate level for the output signal to stay above ground, the same as a single-supply inverting amplifier, or the below schematic? The maths might be 'lots' of fun to trawl through... I found it hard enough figuring out how to do the formula for a single-supply inverting amplifier that only had to go from +1Vin = 0Vout, 0Vin = +1Vout - I still haven't figured out how to work out +1.5Vin = 0Vout, +0.2Vin = +1Vout... This is from 'Op Amps for Everyone', might be of help to think it through, maybe not.

Maybe 'Single-supply Op Amp Design Techniques' (sloa030a.pdf) might help somehow, but it has no integrator in it, unfortunately. I have to confess that I found the maths approach off-putting, hopefully it'll be more your cup of tea.

Attachments

• sloa030a.pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 273
This triangle wave generator is from the Circuits menu of Falstad's simulator. Raise the waveform into the positive region by applying a positive voltage instead of ground connection at the inputs.

Yes, the ground connected OP inputs can be connected with a voltage divider to Vcc/2. The schmitt trigger resistor ratio must be adjusted for the intended output voltage range and RC time constant for the frequency. An additional resistor from ST non-inverting input to ground should be added to accountt for the requested asymmetry.
--- Updated ---

Resistor values for ideal rail-to-rail OP

Attachments

• Single supply ramp gen.zip
    1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.