Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Single supply triangular wave generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicnoob

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I am having a little problem designing a triangular wave generator with a single supply. I intend to use a Schmitt Trigger Comparator circuit and an inverting integrator to design the circuit.
  • Duty cycle = 0.5
  • Frequency = 8.5kHz
  • Supply voltage = 12 V (single supply operation)
  • Vmax = 7.3V
  • Vmin = 3.1V
All I know for now is the UTP = 7.3V and LTP = 3.1V.
I think I need an negative input for the inverting integrator for it to have a positive gradient part of my triangular wave. Is there any other way to do it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hi,

Can you bias it at an appropriate level for the output signal to stay above ground, the same as a single-supply inverting amplifier, or the below schematic? The maths might be 'lots' of fun to trawl through... I found it hard enough figuring out how to do the formula for a single-supply inverting amplifier that only had to go from +1Vin = 0Vout, 0Vin = +1Vout - I still haven't figured out how to work out +1.5Vin = 0Vout, +0.2Vin = +1Vout... This is from 'Op Amps for Everyone', might be of help to think it through, maybe not.

imagen_2020-10-21_124641.png

Maybe 'Single-supply Op Amp Design Techniques' (sloa030a.pdf) might help somehow, but it has no integrator in it, unfortunately. I have to confess that I found the maths approach off-putting, hopefully it'll be more your cup of tea.

Attachments

• sloa030a.pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 256
This triangle wave generator is from the Circuits menu of Falstad's simulator. Raise the waveform into the positive region by applying a positive voltage instead of ground connection at the inputs.
triangle wave generator 2 op amps 6V bipolar AC (from Falstad menu).png

Yes, the ground connected OP inputs can be connected with a voltage divider to Vcc/2. The schmitt trigger resistor ratio must be adjusted for the intended output voltage range and RC time constant for the frequency. An additional resistor from ST non-inverting input to ground should be added to accountt for the requested asymmetry.
--- Updated ---

Resistor values for ideal rail-to-rail OP

1603380136775.png

Attachments

• Single supply ramp gen.zip
    1 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.