Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single File size exceed 2GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejean

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
When I use tools to generate report file exceed 2GB, it makes core dump!
Does Linux support a single file exceeds 2GB?
What is the partition format I must choose?

Thanks

Ejean

Linux supports files greater than 2GB if kernel is 2.4.x or greater
also the programms must support it too
check this link
**broken link removed**

HTH
dsp_

At the Windows platform you have to use NTFS to support filesizes above 2GB. FAT32 doesn't support files bigger than 2GB. I don't know about Linux.

On Linux you can use files bigger than 2GB with no problems. Use EXT3 file system , this is the default file system for most Linux distributions.

thx

thx :eek:

The limitatation of a 32 bit EDA tool is 2GB ( 2^32 =4GB, some system use 1 bit for parity bit, so the limitation is 2GB). So there are no way you can avoid that. The only way is upgrade you OS to 64 bit and use 64bit Application and the limit will be the sky ( 2^64 = ?). But there are few PC machines and applications now have 64 bit capability. That's why we have to stuck with expensive and slow Sun machine for a while

edaguy69
are you sure that this bit is for parity?
I'm not... but it doesn't matter - you are right that
2^32 = 4GB, and largest file is aprox 2GB...

look for large fs...

Status
Not open for further replies.