Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sine wave to square pulses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 12v sine wave (i.e. -12v to +12v) which I need to change to a square wave so I can get the frequency. What circuit can be used? I know it is something with possibly comparators but have been Googling a lot and did not find. Also can it be done without? How about just clipping it with zener and then how to shape it? Thanks.

Agh !, man ..
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

etc. etc. ...

It can be any opamp eg. LM358 or comparator eg. LM311 ..

IanP
:D

IanP said:
It can be any opamp eg. LM358 or comparator eg. LM311 ..

IanP
:D

OK I have re-created your schematic in LTSpice and have attached the result. I have a few questions:
1. How do I get rid of the pulse resulting from the down cycle of the sine?
2. Why does the square wave not start from zero but seems to be between 1.8v and 3.8v approx?

Thanks

Wow, that was very nice zero-crossing detector in action ..

I've changed this circuit a little bit (see opamp's inputs), so try it again ..

IanP
:|

For a better understanding of the LTSpice1.png results, read below comment from the LTSPICE manual:
A common error is to draft a resistor with value of 1M, thinking of a one MegaOhm resistor, however, 1M is
interpreted as a one milliOhm resistor. This is necessary for compatibility with standard SPICE practice.
The correct resistance value in SPICE notation is 1Meg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back